Monday, September 22, 2008

Another muddy point re: term project

Is ContentDM considered open source software for the purposes of the term project? I'm going to be working with it for another course.

According to the ContentDM site, "While most users run the CONTENTdm software “out-of-the box,” it also has an API that allows for custom development. The open architecture supports extensions and the Web interface is fully customizable."

And if it isn't - could we use it instead of open source software? Believe me, I have nothing against open source software - my laptop runs on Ubuntu Linux, my browser of choice is Firefox, and I use GIMP on a semi-regular basis. But uniting the two assignments (working with ContentDM for LIS 2405, producing a prototype digital library for LIS 2670) would be very efficient.

No comments: